The Ivey Advanced Entry Opportunity (AEO) extends conditional, pre-admission status to the HBA program to exceptional secondary school students. Ivey AEO applicants are assessed on their academic record and demonstrated leadership in extracurricular activities, community involvement, and work experience. Ivey AEO status is only available to students who choose to study at Western or one of the affiliated university colleges (in a faculty of their choice) for their first two years of university.
Students must first be admitted to Western or one of the affiliated university colleges before being offered Ivey AEO status. Applicants are notified separately from the Registrar's Office concerning their admission to first year.
Approximately 2/3 of the Ivey HBA class are formerly Ivey AEOs, the remaining 1/3 are students from Western and other universities who develop an interest in business during their first two years of study.
Students interested in the Ivey AEO apply to Western or one of the affiliated university colleges on the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC) form. They must also apply separately to the Richard Ivey School of Business. The Ivey AEO application is only available on-line at www.ivey.uwo.ca/hba. There is an application fee payable to the Ivey Business School. Please refer to www.ivey.uwo.ca/hba for more information.
Both applications are due by the OUAC application deadline in January.
A competitive Ivey AEO application includes:
• 90%+ average in your final year of secondary school
• Completion of a mathematics course for university bound students
• Demonstrated leadership in extracurricular activities, community involvement, and work experience.
STEPS FOR ADMISSION TO HBA
To progress to the Ivey HBA Program in third year, Ivey AEO students need to:
- Enrol at Western or one of the Affiliated University Colleges for Years 1 and 2 with a full course load (5.0 full courses) during the regular academic year (September – April) in each year;
- Achieve an overall two-year average of 80.0% in 10.0 full university credits (5.0 in each year) in any faculty in any program with no failed courses;
- Enrol in a module and take a minimum of 2.0 of the required courses for that module plus Business Administration 2257 in Year 2;
- Take all senior (2000 and higher) level courses in Year 2 including Business Administration 2257. Permission to register for a first-year course in Year 2 will be granted by the HBA Program Services Office only under special circumstances;
- Students following a program containing MOS 2310A/B and 2320A/B must defer these courses until Year 3 as they will not count towards the 10.0 credits required for admission to the HBA Program and are discouraged for those students continuing on to the Ivey Business School. Students continuing in MOS must complete MOS 2310A/B and 2320A/B in Year 3 prior to enrolling in MOS courses for which these courses are the prerequisite;
- Achieve no less than 70% in Business Administration 2257 taken between September and April of Year 2; Given the participative nature of the HBA program and its casebased learning methodology, students are strongly encouraged to demonstrate a satisfactory level of class contribution in Business Administration 2257;
- Complete the equivalent of a Grade 12 U-level mathematics course, if not taken during secondary school;
- Continue involvement, achievement, and leadership in extracurricular activities in Years 1 and 2;
- Adhere to all student code of conduct regulations at their respective institutions. Violations of such codes will be considered as part of the admissions process;
- Complete an Ivey AEO Update form between Years 1 and 2 so that Ivey can provide feedback on progression to date; and,
- Complete the Ivey AEO Intent to Register form in Year 2 to confirm intention to join the Ivey HBA Program in Year 3.
Students may be required to participate in an online video interview as part of their HBA Intent application.