1. The Spring/Summer Session shall be comprised of three periods:
• Twelve-week period - May to August (Summer Evening and Spring/Summer Distance Studies)
• Six-week period - May to June (Intersession)
• Six-week period - July to August (Summer Day)
2. The last day of online registration for Summer Evening, Intersession and Summer Day will be two days before the start of classes.
3. Scheduling of classes will be within the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 9:40 p.m. for the May/June period and 8:00 a.m. to 3:40 p.m. for the July/August period, and between the hours of 5:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. for the May to August period. No classes will be held on statutory holidays.
4. A first-term full or half course (comprising twelve or six weeks for Summer Evening and six weeks for Intersession and Summer Day) will begin:
• for Summer Evening, on the first Monday in May after May 2
• for Intersession, on the Monday following the first day of Summer Evening
• for Summer Day, on the first Monday in July after Canada Day.
A second-term half course for Summer Evening will begin six weeks after the start of the Summer Evening Session.
5. There will be two study days for Summer Evening, Summer Day and Distance Studies courses between the end of classes and the examination period (including weekends). For Intersession, there will be two study days.
6. Examinations for Summer Evening, Intersession and Summer Day will be held over two days and for Distance Studies, over four days.
[The Structure of the Academic Year policy for dates of September to April sessions at www.uwo.ca/univsec/handbook/general/structure.pdf ]
Integration of London Extension With Intramural Instruction
The teaching of Evening Fall/Winter Extension classes (for credit) in London shall become, wherever possible, a part of the normal teaching load of members of the Faculties of Arts, Science and Social Science, effective 1973-74.
Eligibility For Registration - Spring/Summer Sessions
Registration in Spring/Summer Sessions shall be available to full and part-time students provided that the performance in the preceding Fall/Winter session has not been conditioned by deferred, special or supplemental examinations or by incomplete standing and that the Deans of Faculties shall be empowered to authorize registration in a Spring/Summer Session(s) of students enroled in their faculties preceding Fall/Winter Sessions whose performance was conditioned (i.e., by deferred, special or supplemental examinations, or by incomplete standing).
Distance Studies Courses
1. A Department may offer an approved course by Distance Studies only with the permission of both the department Chair and the Dean of the faculty concerned in consultation with the Coordinator for Distance Studies.
2. Persons resident in Canada and Canadian citizens resident in the United States who meet the regular admission requirements of The University of Western Ontario and are granted admission, are eligible to register in approved courses offered by Distance Studies for degree credit. Canadian citizens residing outside of North America will be accommodated on a case by case basis and with the permission of the Dean.
3. To qualify for a degree, credit in a minimum of five courses taken at The University of Western Ontario, either intramurally or by Distance Studies, is required.
Course Content and Structure of Summer Session and Distance Studies Courses
The content and structure of courses offered in Summer Sessions and by Distance Studies shall be, essentially, equivalent to the content and structure of the comparable courses offered in the intramural
For summer session courses, this includes the formal hours of instruction - lecture, laboratory, tutorial, and the academic work load including in-class and out-of-class assignments.
For summer session half courses, instruction shall be conducted throughout the entire session. Under special circumstances, a department may be granted exemption from this regulation by the dean of the faculty, acting on the advice of the Educational Policy Committee (or equivalent) of the Faculty Council.
For Distance Studies courses, where possible, the academic workload, assignments and course materials shall be the same as intramural sessions.
Spring/Summer Sessions SR.08-215
Integration of London S.1332
Eligibility for Registration-Spring/Summer S.1301
Distance Studies Courses SR.99-159
Course Content and Structure SR.99-159
Availability for Part-time S.1331